It’s quite an irony when we care for our hair (read: men) the entire year and come Holi, everything is simply forgotten. Even if skin care regimen is followed diligently around this time of the year, men’s hair still remains the most neglected part.
Our hair, like skin, especially needs some TLC before and after Holi. All the harmful toxins present in both dry and wet colours strip away the sheen and lustrous quality of the hair making it dry and frizzy. This can also cause permanent damage to the scalp resulting in hair loss and dandruff.
Because this doesn’t happen to you, we have compiled these hair-care tips which must be followed. If you love your hair, that is!
1) The foremost rule is to massage your scalp with coconut-based oil an hour before you get into the Holi celebrations. Coconut-based hair oil forms a protective sheath on your external covering of your hair (cuticle). The colours too come off easily.
2) If you don’t like coconut oil, you can also use olive, castor or rosemary-based oil as well. If your scalp is sensitive, add lemon drops to keep all the infection caused by the toxins in colours at bay.
3) For better results, you can soak a towel in hot water and wrap it around your head to ensure better absorption of oil.
4) You can also use a cap or bandana to cover your scalp. You can tie their hair up so that they have to worry about lesser areas for the stains to come off.
5) When you are done with playing colours or water balloons, immediately wash your hair under plain water so that dry colours don’t seep into your scalp.
6) Wash your hair with herbal shampoo and a mild conditioner under lukewarm water. Repeat the process two times. You can also add 2-3 drops of lemon juice into a mug of water and use it for your last rinse. Lemon helps to restore the chemical balance of the scalp.
7) Alternatively, beer is also used to condition and soften hair.
8) The process should be repeated every day, along with oiling your hair overnight, until the time all the colours come off.
Follow these extremely simple rules and let your hair enjoy a colourful Holi as well.